[geeklog-devel] Do Not Track header?

Joe Mucchiello jmucchiello at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 30 11:09:42 EST 2011

Dirk wrote:
> Is there anything that we should be doing in Geeklog to support the
> proposed Do Not Track[1] HTTP header? I guess whoever maintains the GUS
> plugin these days probably should take a good look at this. But is there
> something to be done in Geeklog itself?

This has the potential to cause many headaches. To truly be Do Not Track
compliant, a website would also have to enforce retention policies on stuff like

the server access logs. Since this, db backups, and other tracking is outside
the scope of Geeklog, I don't think being Do Not Track compliant is something
Geeklog can (or should) advertise. Instead, a wiki page saying how you
configure Geeklog to aid in DNT compliance (along with suggestions for other
things you would do to be compliant) is the way to go.

> Somewhat related: We should also be looking into an option not to store IP
> addresses (and login dates, but at least that's already configurable),
> since we're probably already on shaky ground there in some legislatures.

I would think just adding an option would suffice for DNT compliance and as you
said is probably long overdue. The trick is getting the plugins to comply,
especially forum since we have no maintainer for it.

  Joe