[geeklog-devel] more GSoC project ideas

Vincent Furia vfuria at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 15:48:13 EST 2011

Maybe we should consider moving to a "real" database abstraction layer? That
would definitely be enough work for a GSOC program and it could
automatically provide support for all these lesser used database types. It
would, I hope, also make maintenance a bit easier (especially for, say,
MSSQL).

On a similar topic, we could look at a GSOC program to change up our
template library. It's a bit silly that we still don't have compiled
templates (to the detriment of our performance). Joe's work could be used as
a basis or the student could look at implementing an existing template
library (preferably one that could be backward compatible with existing
templates).

These might both be too big for a GSOC project, but worth thinking about?

Finally, many may not remember, but years and years ago (2002 or 2003) I
pushed a big set of patches to improve page load performance. If I recall
correctly, I eliminated (through combination or caching) a bunch of SQL
queries, cleaned up PHP code (including getting rid of some recursion), and
completely rewrote the comment display code. Doing something similar again
today as a GSOC project could be beneficial to Geeklog. I hadn't brought
this up before because this is an awfully non-specific task. I'm not sure it
will fit well all that well into GSOC project. Any thoughts?

-Vinny