[geeklog-devel] more GSoC project ideas

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Fri Mar 4 09:22:42 EST 2011

>> Or you could just ask me to write it. Ben said he was going to put in my
change to allow "alternate" template engines. Once that gets in, I promised
to release a plugin containing my template library. The current version on
database, better block handling, fully backward compatible with the phplib
library, and can be cached to disk or memcache (although I need to reinstall
suite.

Hey Joe, I was still planning to put it in. You mentioned that you were
probably not going to start until this spring so I was going to wait until
you started.

>>And I did the same thing 2007. I still have a bunch of diffs I like to
apply to lib-security and lib-common because it hits the database far too
many times. I tried to sneak a couple of those into the socnet changes that
still aren't >>released. If I thought the patches would be applied, I'd make
feature requests and post patches. But since there's no track record there,
I don't do it.

I would like to start to keep more on top of patches. If they make sense,
Move Geeklog forward and are complete I have no problem adding them in. (If
it is a major change obviously it should be discussed on the mailing list)

>>Want to reduce Geeklog's memory footprint? Compartmentalize the core
functions:

In public_html/search.php:
define('INCL_SEARCH',1); // yes, before the include, it is safe include
'lib-common.php';

In every plugin/function.inc:
if (defined('INCL_SEARCH')) include $plugin_path . 'search.inc';

>>And in search.inc, each plugin puts all the search related plugin_
functions.

>>Repeat this for most of the global php files: comment, search, user,
usersettings, stats!!, submit, trackback/pingback,  etc. and you will reduce
the load time of all pages.

That seems like a good way to do it. The problem is getting someone to sit
down to do maintenance stuff like this :-)