[geeklog-devel] Other plugins (was: Future of the Forum

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Sun Mar 20 17:22:44 EDT 2011

Michael Brusletten wrote:

> I've used the filemgmt plugin from Blaine without any problems for storing
> files outside the web root without any problems.  But then again, this was
> using it on a windows server platform.  I have not tried it on a NIX system
> yet, however, I think it is still doable.

The plugin doesn't support this. It may be possible to do that with some symlinking on the server side, but I'm not sure.

All downloads go via visit.php to get some statistics and all that script then does is to send a meta redirect to the actual file. In other words, the file must be web-accessible - if you know the full URL, you can download it directly. That would still work if you somehow managed to place the files outside the webroot and symlink them in.

To serve files from outside the webroot properly (so that they're not directly accessible) you would need to use Geeklog's downloader class. But the File Management plugin doesn't use it.