[geeklog-devel] GSoC 2012 is happening

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Sun Feb 5 09:35:46 EST 2012

>> the first question for me is: With Google Summer of Code, can we spent a
slot to finish old  features

That would be nice but I believe the project have to be started from
scratch. (I would like to see the plugin repository and calendar plugin
finished at some point)

If we do decide to go for GSOC this year and get accepted I hope Core
notification gets selected:

http://wiki.geeklog.net/index.php/SoC_core_notification_support

>> and what about SoC category plugin ... is this feature will be available
for geeklog 1.9 with the big work of Tom?

Parts of this will be available in Geeklog 1.9.0. I went a bit of a
different route with the idea.  Instead of new categories I decided to
extend the functionality of topics. A topic can now have a parent topic.
When viewing a topic it can inherit stories and blocks from child topics (if
it is setup to do so). I also added support for multiple topic support for
Articles, Blocks and Staticpages. Breadcrumbs are in there as well. I am in
the midst of writing a Wiki article on this which will also tell plugin
authors how to use the new topic assignment control if they wish to add some
topic support (very rough at this point).

http://wiki.geeklog.net/index.php/Topic_Support#Introduction

There are a number of things that did not make it in which we could
repackage together for a GSOC project. This would include things like:

Core Changes
- Add new plugin API to integrate extra fields from one or more plugins into
edit forms. This should allow for displaying, validation and saving the
information. Some functionality will also be required to tell the plugin
what plugins it should not integrate into
- Add new plugin API to integrate extra fields from one or more plugins into
submission forms
- Add this functionality to the admin editors and submission forms of
Articles, Category plugin, Static Pages plugin, Polls plugin, Links Plugin
and Calendar plugin

- What's related Block based on topic relationships
- Tag Cloud based on topics
- Dropdown Menu based on topic relationships
- Consider allowing plugins to display items amongst the articles when a
topic is displayed
- Updated Admin interface for Topics
- etc...

Tom