[geeklog-devel] Random notes and thoughts from FOSDEM

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Tue Feb 7 09:50:32 EST 2012

Hey Dirk,

Thanks for representing us at FOSDEM.

>> 1) Open Advice, http://open-advice.org/

I will read up on Open Advice.

>> 2) Homepage redesign, especially a new theme.

I did start something on the wiki on ideas for the redesign a while ago.

http://wiki.geeklog.net/index.php/Geeklog.net_Redesign

Theming isn't my strongest asset but I am willing to help with redesigning
the layout of the data and writing new information on Geeklog.net. Geeklog
1.9.0 should also help with this since it will allow us to better catalogue
our posts.

>> - Unused patches and GSoC projects. We have so many patches and
almost-finished GSoC projects sitting around and rotting

I agree. We should identify the patches and projects which are still
relevant and can be incorporated with relative ease.

>> To make it easier for people to contribute, Rouslan suggested to use
Bitbucket

I am a bit out of the loop on Bitbucket. So instead of patches we would want
contributors to fork the repository do their work and if we approve then
merge it back in. Is that how other open source projects are going?

>>3) Bounties ...

Sounds like something we should maybe drop then

>> We should embrace such volunteering and support it where possible.

I agree. We should invite people to submit posts on any such events

>> From Rouslan's email: I think that I mentioned something about the slogan
of "the secure CMS", being quite a bit to live up to

True.  Maybe we can revisit this once the redesign process gets underway.

Tom