[geeklog-devel] Geeklog 2.0.0b2 Questions

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Mon Jun 18 14:17:20 EDT 2012

Tom wrote:

> I am also wondering about our MSSQL and PGSQL support. We have had some
> reports of problems trying to install pgsql but no one (as far as I know)
> has checked in on these. What should we do?

I actually tried looking into the Postgres issues, but an upgrade to my Linux box broke the Postgres install there. Haven't had the time to start over with a fresh Postgres install.

I don't know the state of the MS SQL support, but I would assume it's broken.

We probably have to ask ourselves what the point of these two is. We say we support MS SQL and Postgres, but nobody's really using or even testing them. Postgres at least seems to be broken in 1.8.1 as well[1].

There was a certain need for Postgres, back when MySQL ended up at Oracle and people were unsure if it would survive in its current form. These days, there are alternatives like MariaDB (on which I'm running Geeklog locally), so the pressure is gone. I would hate to lose Postgres but realistically, if nobody is here to really look after it - what's the point? Same with MS SQL, although I guess the number of potential users there is even lower.

bye, Dirk

[1] http://project.geeklog.net/tracking/view.php?id=1425

--
http://www.themobilepresenter.com/