[geeklog-devel] Geeklog Feeds and how they are suppose to work?

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Sat Oct 6 10:20:49 EDT 2012

Hey All,

I have been looking into the feeds a bit further and I am a little confused
... and have a few more questions:

1) Currently COM_rdfUpToDateCheck is being called in index.php where someone
is likely viewing the homepage or topics. I am not sure why this was put
here since a feed can change and it doesn't matter if a user views a topic
or not. The updated smarter call to this should be moved to lib-common.

function COM_rdfUpToDateCheck( $updated_type = '', $updated_topic = '',
$updated_id = '' )

2) You can pass an updated type to COM_rdfUpToDateCheck, for example
'calendar' like so.

COM_rdfUpToDateCheck('calendar', $event_type, $eid);

I assumed this would just update the calendar plugin feed but I am wrong.
All it does is pass the variable to ALL the plugin functions
plugin_feedupdatecheck_xxx. The plugin function is supposed to then use it
(I am not sure how or why) because none of the core plugins or forum does.
If you do specify a plugin then only all the plugin feeds are updated. If
you specify article then ALL the feeds (article and plugin) are updated.

Why does this work like this? Are we assuming there could be some relation
so we just update everything? Why are plugins as a whole separated from
articles? Should plugin_feedupdatecheck_calendar be smarter and check if it
should be called or not? Or should COM_rdfUpToDateCheck use $updated_type to
update only the correct plugin feeds?

3) Also with checking the timestamp of the article idea. We need to ensure
that COM_rdfUpToDateCheck does update the feeds on article edits and
deletes.

Anyways I am not sure why COM_rdfUpToDateCheck was written the way it was
when deciding what feeds to update. If someone could shed some light on this
I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Tom