[geeklog-devel] Geeklog Template Class Improvements

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Mon Apr 15 11:01:06 EDT 2013

Okay I have most of the Template Caching Library in place.

When I commit this the following items will be in place and working:
- The Template Caching Library
	- Config Option to disable caching
	- Config Option to Include Template Comments in Page Source
	- What it Offers (see
http://www.glfusion.org/wiki/glfusion:development:usingtemplates for full
details)
		- Caching of Template files (Compiles templates to PHP code
for enhanced page load speeds.)
		- Ability to specify multiple locations to search for
templates. (this allows for Themes based on a default theme, images would
still need to be copied over)
		- Automatic Language File Variables (like so:
		- PHP Code in Templates
		- Comment Removal in Page Source
		- Logic Processing using template variables (really useful!)
(based on template variables and can call any global function)
		- Replacement Template Variable Manipulation Modifiers
- Clear Cache tool added to Geeklog Command & Control
- Installer will also check for the cache directory and clear the cache on
upgrade
- I also added the log viewer found in the ban plugin to the Geeklog Command
& Control.

I also removed the config option 'supported_version_theme'  from
theme_init_foo function and added it to the theme_config_foo function. You
can also add to the config option 'theme_default' theme_config_foo function
which you can set with the name of the default theme for your new theme if
you only want to include templates that have changed.

The following items I still plan on adding for Geeklog 2.0.1 at some point
later
- Adding {# and #} around all template comments in all themes (I could use
some help here or an automated way to do this...)
- Caching of Article Contents

Caching is not limited to this. At some point we could also add it to other
things like Staticpages, Polls, Calander and the What's New Block.

The only limitation on Caching that I can see is with the use of Autotags.
If autotag content changes over time this will not be shown in the cache
files until it is rewritten.  This can happen in stories (when I implement
caching for them) and with autotags in templates (only when caching is
applied to templates before processing like with the Header and  Footer.
There may be a way around this (by just not caching the autotag output) but
I have to look into it further.

Tom