[geeklog-devel] performance user groups / roles

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Thu Aug 22 20:22:56 EDT 2013

I don't have experience with that many groups but I don't think the hit
would be that bad, among other things when checking if the user has
permission Geeklog throws all the groups the user belongs to and puts it in
comma separated list that MySQL uses the IN clause on.

Other things affecting speed (as of Geeklog 2.0.0) are complex topic tree's
and stories and blocks that belong to multiple topics. If your site is
multi-language this will also affect the speed slightly. The number of
visitors on your site at any one time will also affect things.

Geeklog 2.1.0 (currently in development) introduces caching which helps
reduce the processing required in a number of areas. One of the big areas
where time is reduced is the topic tree structure. It is now cached along
with a number of blocks and staticpages.

Tom