[geeklog-devel] Geeklog Multi Language Setups IMPORTANT

Niemans niemans at nlbox.com
Sat Jul 13 16:35:43 EDT 2013

To my opinion there are only 3 options:

1. one runs a domestic site only.
This means a default domestic language and all content will be in that domestic language.

2. one runs a domestic site with a few languages for navigation.
This still means that all content will be in the default domestic languae.

3. one runs a world site withe multi-lingual content.
The term "multi-lingual site" is confusing; better is "a site with multi-lingual content".
> below the Language Frame called "Multi-Languages".
Call this "multi-lingual Content". Choices are "allow" or "separated".

While options 1 and 2 are quite similar, it is to be noticed that they both deal with language files only.

For option 3, which has nothing to do with the language files, just with the content, it would be sufficient to add a language selection to the story.
The dropdown could just add "_en" or "_de" to the story_id.
Off course a "none" or "any" value could be used in the dropdown. Or maybe even a "default" value.

To complicate things, what about a fourth option, being multi-lingual AND swap navigation using the language files.
This option could specify that my navigation is english but I would subscribe to the dutch content.

Concluding.
Being a site with multi-lingual content means two things:
1. show only the content in my language (and general content).
2. swap the language when I hit content in a different language: the content is leading for language swaps.

Be aware of (2).
--What to do if two stories display (on the home page) in different languages. This is contradictory with (1).
--Make this behavior optional or make the "language" (navigation) fixed.
--Set the language on first entry for anonymous or negotiate with the browser.

Wim

Op 13 jul. 2013, om 21:12 heeft Tom het volgende geschreven: