[geeklog-devel] About Geeklog anmd Geeklog.net

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Sat Sep 7 13:56:54 EDT 2013

Tom wrote:

> http://wiki.geeklog.net/index.php/Who_made_Geeklog%3F
>
> Dirk would know more about this. Maybe he can answer the question  (and we
> can use the info as well on our About Geeklog page in the future)

That was even before my time :)

As far as I know, back in 2000 or thereabouts, Jason Whittenburg wanted to create 2 websites, Security Geeks and News Geeks (I don't even know their original URLs) and was looking for a CMS. When he couldn't find one that he liked, he went on to write his own - what eventually became Geeklog (actually, if you check the very end of public_html/docs/history, there's an entry that refers to another CMS, phpWebLog, which Geeklog seems to have borrowed some code from).

Geeklog's security focus also dates back to those days. After all, how can you run a site about IT security if the CMS running that site is not secure?

When Jason moved on (handing Geeklog over to Tony Bibbs), he also sold those two sites. I don't know what happened to them, but I don't think they're still operational.

Thus ends today's (incomplete) history lesson :)

HTH

http://www.themobilepresenter.com/