[geeklog-devel] Proposal about improving the admin section

Yoshinori Tahara taharaxp at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 01:54:01 EST 2014

Hi All,

I want to ask the opinions of Geeklog developers and users about the
proposal to be described below.
My proposal is about improving the administrator section.
Speaking it plainly, I want to separate the admin section.

Traditionally, Geeklog's display method of the admin section is
exactly the same as the articles or comments, etc..
Therefore, all the templates are stored in a single theme directory.
(Except for the plugin templates)
This means that it is easy to understand for admin users, but has also
brought negative effects on the other hand.

First, the system developers have to develop the admin section screen
while considering the impact to the theme.
But in fact, compatibility of theme has been frequently impaired.
Second, the theme developers have been forced to the development of
admin screen templates.
I also have experience struggling as a theme developer.

If we separate the admin section from theme, these problems could
quite be solved.
I've actually done this effort. The outline is something like the following.
1. Created the admin screen dedicated theme. Named "Admin".
2. Deleted the admin screen dedicated templates from the normal theme.
3. Fixed the system to selectively use both the admin theme and normal
themes as the situation demands.
4. Created the new Top Bar for accessing the admin section. This Top
Bar is displayed only when you log on.
5. Added the UIkit(http://getuikit.com/) to the system in order to
create the Top Bar easily.

In order to help you try this result, I have created a distribution
for the demonstration.
Please download the following link and try.
http://www.trybase.com/~dengen/log/files/geeklog-demo.tar.gz

After installation, please change the theme to Denim2.
It is still rough around the edges, and there are some known issues.
In order to try UIkit, please refer to the admin screen of the Static
Page plugin.
Please send your comments on this thread.

Thanks

--
Yoshinori Tahara - dengen