[geeklog-devel] Proposal about improving the admin section

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Sun Dec 7 12:16:57 EST 2014

Hey Dengen,

I am fine with the change as well. I welcome it actually :-)

I ran your demo and I will just explain a bit more on how it works to the
others.

The Admin block is still shown with all the items that the user has access
to. The Admin block has not changed in functionality.

Once you click on an admin link in the Admin block you are taken to the page
which now uses the new admin theme that has the top bar menu navigation
(which is responsive).

The top bar starting on the left has a Home link and then 4 drop down menus
for the different sections of the control panel (Core, Plugins, Tools,
Users). On the right of the top bar is  the User Functions menu.

I like the look and how everything works. I just have 2 suggestions.

1) Can we include in the top bar a link to the Command and Control Home
page? At first that is what I thought the home link was.

2) Can we include the site name somewhere? Maybe have a mini header above
the top bar that has the site name.  We could also include the link back to
the actual site here and leave the home link on the top bar for the Admin
Home. With the site header we could also include other information as well
like the version of Geeklog installed and maybe a link to the documentation.

Looking at the file structure of the Admin theme I noticed that it contains
a lot of template files still that are not needed (archivestorytext, users
directory, etc..). Have you just not cleaned those out yet in your proof of
concept?

Thanks for working on this.

Tom