[geeklog-devel] Contributing to a Github repository

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Wed Jan 20 10:23:07 EST 2016

Yes we do.

Everyone I am pretty new to GitHub and I don't know all the right answers,
so if I say anything that doesn't makes sense (or you know of a better way)
let me know.

For the Geeklog Plugins Community we have 4 organization owners (myself,
mystralkk, dengen, and ben). That is enough for now.  We all have access to
all the repositories. Any other people who wish to contribute to any current
repository should contact one of the owners of the particular repository
explain what they want to do and they can discuss how to do it (ie a fork,
create a  team, or write access to repository, etc...). You never know what
the owner of the repository has planned for the plugin so it is always best
to discuss changes big or small with them and what your role maybe.

Anyone who wants to add a new repository to Geeklog Plugins should contact
one of the organizations owners and we can setup the new repository and give
you full access to it.

For us owners Ben since we have access to all repositories I still think if
anyone of us (owners) want to make changes to someone else's plugin you
should contact them first (especially if it is a big change) and discuss how
to best accomplish the goal.

I think any pull request (or fork) should have an issue attached to it to
show if it is a bug fix or new feature. Us owners of repositories should
also get better at adding what we are working on currently for a plugin.
Either through some sort of Roadmap (using the GitHub wiki feature maybe)
and added the feature we are working on in the repository issue tracker.
This way people will have a better idea of what may be happening with the
plugin. This also means added the required milestone version numbers and any
labels.

Regarding your pull request for the Gus plugin Ben, I missed seeing that and
I approved the change.

Thanks for finding the forum issues Ben. I haven't set up the new version
numbers (in the code) for any of the plugins I am "in charge of" but you are
more than welcome to commit any fixes you work on directly to master if you
wish. Just make sure it has been tested well and it has an issue attached to
it with a good description and appropriate labels.

I had looked before where we can post this type of information about how to
best contribute to the Geeklog Plugins Organization on GitHub (where people
can find it) but the description for an organization can only contain a
couple hundred characters. Maybe I need to create a page on Geeklog.net (or
the Geeklog Wiki) about it and include the link in the description.

Thoughts?

Tom