[geeklog-devel] Drop Support for COM_siteHeader and COM_siteFooter

Kenji ITO mystralkk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 17:28:42 EST 2016

> I think it is time to remove the depreciated functions
>
> COM_siteHeader
> COM_siteFooter
>
> and make the COM_createHTMLDocument the required function for creating a
> Geeklog Page.
>
> I have added a feature request for it here
>
> https://github.com/Geeklog-Core/geeklog/issues/657
>
> and set it for the v2.2.0 milestone. Depending on time lines we can move it
> back if needed.
>
> Obviously if we do this then it will make any plugins that use the above
> functions unable to work with Geeklog 2.2.0 or higher.
>
> Some of the plugins which will need updating (which I have been involved
> in)
> include:
>
> GUS
> Ban
> Autotags
> Nettools
> Searchrank
>
> The change isn't difficult to do it is just a little time consuming as you
> have to run a search through all the plugin code and replace the two calls
> with the one and then test things just to make sure it all works.
>
> I see this happening in a year or so but I wanted to give plugin developers
> notice now. I would also post about this on Geeklog.net if everyone agrees
> with the decision.
>
> If that is not enough time then maybe we can say Geeklog v2.2.0 will be the
> last version to support COM_siteHeader and COM_siteFooter but I rather make
> Geeklog 2.1.X the last version to support the functions.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Tom

I agree.  In addition to COM_siteHeader and COM_siteFooter functions, I
would suggest dropping support for MSSQL, since few people seem to need it.

With Geeklog-2.2.x, why don't we bump up the PHP version required to
5.3.2?  In so doing, we can use namespace and Composer (
https://getcomposer.org/ ).