[geeklog-users] Installation error

geeklog-users-admin at lists.geeklog.net geeklog-users-admin at lists.geeklog.net
Fri Aug 1 10:23:03 EDT 2003

Nik,

>Actually, I'm running MySQL 3.23.36.

Oops. I had something like "4.0.4" in the back of my mind - but that was
your PHP version. Which is quite old, btw. See also below ...

>The connect is working correctly, and the $_DB_user and $_DB_pass are
correct
>(I did check), but the mysql_get_server_info() is terminating the script, it
>appears.

Bingo.

>From <http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-get-server-info.php>:

--- snip ---
mysql_get_server_info

(PHP 4 >= 4.0.5)
--- snip ---

That function is not available in your PHP version. I guess you don't see
an error message because the '@' in front of the function name suppresses
errors (which again proves that it's bad practice doing that - /me slaps
self).

Okay, so the obvious advice would be to upgrade PHP since that version is
really old (and any versions older than 4.1.2 have security issues anyway).

Before you do that, I would be interested what happens when you remove
the '@' from the mysql_get_server_info call. I would assume you get an
error message then.

I guess it's about time to raise the minimal system requirements for
Geeklog a bit ...

bye, Dirk

P.S. You're posting with the wrong address again ...

http://geeklog.info/