[geeklog-users] bigger address list

Daniel Kopp geeklog at daniu.de
Thu Dec 18 08:46:28 EST 2003

Hi!

Some time ago I posted on geeklog.net that I would appreciate a bigger,
better address-book for geeklog. In particular the most important features
for me are rights for address book entries - meaning I can allow a group or
a single person to read, edit, maybe add new addresses and delete them. By
that every geeklog-admin could manage his/her addresses of all
(acquaintances) groups in 1 place and people could all change their
addresses themselves which will - if it works and people use it - keep the
address book always up to date.
I have an address list written in perl with a textfile as data-container
(only 1 group and not really comfortable). I found out that people
participate only if they are reminded on the existence of the list from time
to time. To do this - in a way that makes sense and does not annoy anybody -
I send an email on ever change of an address. So this is a feature which
should be added.
I also could imagine to output the list in different forms like pdf, Excel,
csv, html printable, html colored.

Now - I would like to get more into that but I am not very familiar with the
way geeklog works and everybody knows that it is most difficult to
understand other peoples way of programming. So I would:
-appreciate some pointers to how geeklog works
-get connected to people who want to participate and know more about how to
set up plug-ins (of course I've seen the template for that), get user info
in plug-ins, etc.

When thinking about it - I came to this first thoughts:

three additional tables:
***
1. User-data:
uid
data          // all the user data (containing all sort of more or
              // less weird info, as much as possible at first)
***
2. Rights:
uid
grp_id        // to be able to set rights for single persons
              // or for a whole group (like in gl_group_assignments)
uid_source    // the addresses to allow
grp_source    // same with groups
rights        // 1 see (only for groups: for admin to be able to hide
              // a group even to people that are in it. In other words:
              // to set up which groups are used for the address list,
              // 2 read, 4 write, 8 add, 16 delete, 32 whatever
***
3. User settings
uid
Settings      // things like list-format, "getmail on change".
              // This could also go into User-data (1) but is somehow
              // different.
***

A later step could be to enable the Geeklogadmin to set up self defined
columns as data.

I really hope some people are interested and participate!

If the existing contacts-plug-in would be easy to change in a way that comes
close to my ideas this would be OK, too. However as far as I understood
"contacts" is very different and not so easy to get do what I want to do.

Merry Christmas
Daniel