[geeklog-users] submitting code

Lucas Gonze lgonze at panix.com
Wed Dec 17 15:48:43 EST 2003

On Wednesday, Dec 17, 2003, at 14:25 America/New_York, Dirk Haun wrote:
> Can't remember what the fix for search.php was about. If it was about
> the
> links showing up when searching for an author - that is a known issue
> and
> exists as a bug report. Blaine, didn't you plan to work on that?

Original post on the search fix is at the bottom of this message.
Better to manage that one via the bug tracker.

> And, as you can see from my late reply, we all seem to have a minor
> problem with the time we can spend on the project recently ...

That's what I assumed.  Finding time for free work is hard.

Thanks.

- Lucas

Here's the search fix:

In search.php, the code tests mode to see if it's 'search':
if ($HTTP_GET_VARS['mode'] == 'search' ) {
     $display .= $searchObj->doSearch();
} else {
     $display .= $searchObj->showForm();
}

But if the search was submitted via searchform.html (my own version of
this was cannibalized from the Yahoo theme), the mode variable will be
'Search' rather than 'search'.

One possible fix is to do the test case-insensitive.  However that
wouldn't catch situations where the text had been translated.  A more
dependable fix is to look for the 'query' variable instead:

if (!empty($HTTP_GET_VARS['query']) ) {
     $display .= $searchObj->doSearch();
} else {
     $display .= $searchObj->showForm();
}

The new search.php would be:

require_once('lib-common.php');
require_once($_CONF['path_system'] . 'classes/search.class.php');

$display = COM_siteHeader();

$searchObj = new Search();

if ( !empty($HTTP_GET_VARS['query']) ) {
     $display .= $searchObj->doSearch();
} else {
     $display .= $searchObj->showForm();
}