[geeklog-users] Dynamic User-chosen Groups?

Jerry Stratton jerry at sandiego.edu
Thu Feb 20 16:08:37 EST 2003

>Why not do this through the topics.  Right now you can go into your
>display settings and filter the content the way you want by select which
>topics you want to see. Why use security groups to do this?

Well, I didn't say security groups. But your suggestion doesn't sound like it would be easy for users to do on the fly. It sounds like a more permanent change.

Is it possible to use that method to provide users with a single link that switches on one topic (i.e., "Mac OS X") and at the same time switches off some but not all other topics (i.e. "Mac OS 9", "Windows", "Linux" but not "General").

That is, I'd like to be able to provide users with the option to, with a single click on the main menu, switch from whatever topics they were viewing + "Mac OS X" (if present) to whatever topics they were viewing, except "Mac OS X" and plus "Mac OS 9". (Or for my other planned site, switch quickly between "Player" and "Gamemaster" to see different articles, but still see articles about gaming in general.)

Jerry

jerry at sandiego.edu
http://www.sandiego.edu/~jerry/
Serra 188B/x8773
--
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."--Douglas Adams (Mostly Harmless)