[geeklog-users] GL2 database schema

Paul Wolstenholme wolstena at sfu.ca
Mon Jan 6 16:00:11 EST 2003

I was wondering as to whether any work has been done on the new
database schema for GL2. Or, will it stay the same?

It strikes me that the current schema could be improved to add a bit
more flexibility. Currently, events, links and stories are functionally
independent. With the new version of geeklog it may be worth
considering each of these as all types of documents (or stories, items)
and design a schema around a typed document model. The queries would
likely end up a bit more complicated but the benefits would offset the
drawbacks. One benefit would be that it make it easier to add certain
types of functionality. For example, it would make it easier to make a
new link, event, etc a main page story item.

Just a thought.
/Paul