[geeklog-users] GL2 database schema

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Mon Jan 6 16:19:48 EST 2003

Here is my input:
On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Paul Wolstenholme wrote:

> I was wondering as to whether any work has been done on the new
> database schema for GL2. Or, will it stay the same?

Obsolutely not.  GL2 is a ground up development effort.  Our new system
will run a variety of databases (pgsql, mysql) and will support things
like foreign keys and transactions (something mysql was missing unitl
4.0).  We may optionally add stored procedures for databases that select
them.  The problem is we will need to choose at most two database to
actively support and count on the GL2 community to provide support for
others.

> It strikes me that the current schema could be improved to add a bit
> more flexibility. Currently, events, links and stories are functionally
> independent. With the new version of geeklog it may be worth
> considering each of these as all types of documents (or stories, items)
> and design a schema around a typed document model. The queries would
> likely end up a bit more complicated but the benefits would offset the
> drawbacks. One benefit would be that it make it easier to add certain
> types of functionality. For example, it would make it easier to make a
> new link, event, etc a main page story item.

Right, the GL2 schema has the notion of an abstract item.  Items can be
anything in Geeklog (stories, articles, links, blocks, etc).  All items
have a few things in common (id, status (submission, active, archive,
etc), date submitted, submiter ID, security settings, etc.  Using this you
will be able to thread any item type with any other item type.  i.e. you
could post a link that then has a poll attached or a comment or a
document, etc.  You will only be limited by the modules you choose to
install.

Once we get the initial schema ironed out we'll point you all to it for
discussion before we get too far down the development road.