[geeklog-users] Re: PGP Key

geeklog-users-admin at lists.geeklog.net geeklog-users-admin at lists.geeklog.net
Thu Jun 19 12:57:42 EDT 2003

I've cc'd the geeklog-users mailing list at
http://lists.geeklog.net/listinfo/geeklog-users so others may benefit

First PGP stands for Pretty Good Privacy which is a program that gives
applications a way to securely transmit data.  The most popular example
of this is in email.  PGP has a checked, closed source past that
involved the US government, lawsuits and all sorts of nastiness.  Since
then, there is now an open source alternative called GPG which stands
for GNU Privacy Gaurd.  It is the same program as PGP minus any
proprietary algorithms.

Now why does Geeklog include a field for PGP?  Well, the original
author, Jason Whittenburg worked for a security company.  With security
being their bread-and-butter he baked in this user attribute into
Geeklog.  The idea is that two Geeklog users could transmit encrypted
email between one another.  However, in order to decrypt the data you
need a valid public key.  That being said, if you want to learn more
about GPG, feel free to spend some time on Google learning about it.

Please note that currently GL does not use GPG internally for any reason.

--Tony