[geeklog-users] help request: 1.3.6 to 1.3.7sr2 upgrade issue

geeklog-users-admin at lists.geeklog.net geeklog-users-admin at lists.geeklog.net
Thu May 29 09:48:26 EDT 2003

I am trying to upgrade from 1.3.6 to 1.3.7sr2. I get the error:
1044: Access denied for user: 'FOO at localhost' to database 'BAR'

The above username and db name have been changed to protect the innocent.
Here are details, although I can provide more if I've left out something
critical:

- The site actually seems to be running fine without completing
the upgrade script. That is, it's running 1.3.7 code and all 1.3.6 code
has been removed, the stories and images are all rendering, and I seem
fine without completing the install.php script.

- I've read through install.php and the things that I see that are
changing aren't features that I use on the site. But I'd like to be
"kosher" for an upgrade to 1.4 or 2.0 eventually. Still, this seems to
prove that FOO does have access to BAR, since the db is getting used by
the core scripts, even if not by the install script!

- I had to use the more generous permissions on geeklog/logs/ and other directories mentioned in the install documentation. I got errors when changing a story when these permissions were not this lax, although I do not know if only a few or all are required.

- I have the visitor stats plugin installed. I did not uninstall before upgrading to 1.3.7. To do this during the upgrade, I nuked everything in ~/public_html/ (except images/articles and images/userphotos) and then reinstalled the appropriate code as outlined in the visitor stats install guide. I can confirm that visitor stats is working, despite never being uninstalled.

- I am running very little custom code. The only thing I've changed is the image size and number of uploads to different numbers. (Both in config.php and in the upload class.) Some stories in the DB do have more than the standard 5 images, because of these changes.

- I found a similar error here: http://www.geeklog.net/article.php?story=20020821092914316
Yet, when I showed this to my sysadmin (the guy that controls mysql) he said that the reply comment in that story wasn't helpful and was, in fact, wrong. I'm not in a position to know.

I don't want to screw myself by not getting the upgrade right now. Any and all help appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,
matt

jvm at linuxgames.com