[geeklog-users] More on page refresh problem

Walter Shudde wjs357 at access4less.net
Mon Feb 16 13:42:28 EST 2004

Hi all,

First, many thanks to the kind people who responded to my previous request for help.

None of the proposed solutions solved the problem, however, so I posted the problem to my web hosting provider (www.101sitehosting.com) (The text of my post follows below).  who responded with the with the following:

>> I think i've at least found the culprit.

It takes many page refreshes but eventually all of those apache and MySQL requests take up the full 2GB of RAM on the server and it needs to dip into the Swap (hard drive) memory set aside to deal with memory intensive requests. This is when your problem occurs.

I tried duplicating this effect on other PHP/MySQL blogs, however it only occurs on your Geeklog blog. I couldn't find any other Geeklog log blogs on the server to confirm this finding but the fact that some very well known blogs that I tested like PHPNuke, PHPBB, and Mambo OSM didn't display similar problems leads me to believe there is code within Geeklog that needs to be rewritten to account for Swap memory usage?? I'm not a PHP programmer, but that is the most likely scenario.

Any thoughts? >>

My original post to hosting provider:

>> I am running "Geeklog", a weblog/portal PHP program on my site and am experiencing a puzzling problem.

Pages on my site occassionally do not appear to refresh properly. Pages display in funny colors with what appear to be code snippets in place of pictures or text. This sometimes happens when initially navigating to the site, but most frequently occurs when moving from one section of the site to another. Hitting the refresh button on my browser usually causes the page to refresh properly, though sometimes it is necessary to hit refresh several times before the page displays correctly. This problem doesn't seem to be browser specific, as this behavior occurs when using IE_6 or Mozilla/Firebird. The problem also occurs computers other than my own.

I posted the problem to the Geeklog developers mailing list and one thought was that it is most likely an Apache configuration problem. Specifically:

---snip---
I think the problem could be an Apache problem. If you are running
Apache, check your httpd.conf file and look for #enablesendfile off when
you find it, remove the remark or # and save the file and restart Apache
---snip---

1) Could you review and make an neccessary changes in the Apache config on the server

and

2) Could you send a copy of the httpd.conf for review to see if there are any other config settings that might be problamatic?

If helpful, screen captures of the problem are here :

www.x-factornet.com/geekscreen1.jpg
and
www.x-factornet.com/geekscreen2.jpg >>

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  If so, solutions?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Walter Shudde