[geeklog-users] New user help

bruce at trianglewebhosting.biz bruce at trianglewebhosting.biz
Wed Jul 14 09:23:31 EDT 2004

Hi all,
        It just occurred to me to wonder how many people are on the
mailing list, which of course may not be related to how many people
or web sites use Geeklog.  Is that information available, just curious?
My main questions are different though.  I was wondering how to do a
few things as I just got started with Geeklog.  It may be the best
CMS out there but I'm still new to using it so it's hard to make that
evaluation.  I've gone through printing out documentation for various CMS
that I've tried and installed that are available on our server.
1)  Can I and how do I setup or change the dimensions of the photograph that one
can upload with their profile?  Well, I know I can because I uploaded one
pic to the main site at http://www.geeklog.net when I registered there.  My
site didn't allow any photo larger then 96X96.
2)  Can I allow visitors and myself to have photographs that do not get reduced to
a thumbnail size?  One site that I have in mind for this would be for a high school alumni
site and it would be a good idea to let members see photos of other members.
3)  Can I make certain stories available for anonymous visitors and others only for
registered users?  I know I can do the second part but if I had certain blogs that I wanted to
share with visitors or other content and I just wanted to give someone a link is that possible?
I had in mind a writer's CMS setup where people one can get published, this is on another proprietary system but the person can send the link to their publication to a friend or anyone.
4) I accepted one of the default news feeds that one gets with an install.  It doesn't seem clear how to include the content of a newsfeed into the site.  Even going to the geeklog.net site and clicking on RSS, RDF, XML Feeds shows a list of a few but it seems like you can include the content of an article without taking a person away from the site.  Clicking on the .rss file does nothing.  Clicking on the link takes one away from the page instead of having the news included in the site.  Perhaps one can have the content of the story open into a block on the site?  Maybe?   or open a new window with a target="_blank" html tag.  I suppose that would work if the link was done right.

Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce Whealton bruce at TriangleWebHosting.biz
http://TriangleWebHosting.biz
Webmaster/Web Designer/Writer