[geeklog-users] New user help

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Wed Jul 14 12:36:07 EDT 2004

bruce at trianglewebhosting.biz wrote:

> 1)  Can I and how do I setup or change the dimensions of the
> photograph that one
> can upload with their profile?  Well, I know I can because I uploaded one
> pic to the main site at http://www.geeklog.net when I registered
> there.  My
> site didn't allow any photo larger then 96X96.

This is set in config.php.  You should really read everything in that
file once.

> 2)  Can I allow visitors and myself to have photographs that do not
> get reduced to
> a thumbnail size?

No, this is a space conversation issue.  If you don't want to have a
thumbnail, you can set the dimensions to be larger

> 3)  Can I make certain stories available for anonymous visitors and
> others only for
> registered users?

Yes.  The permissions system is Geeklog is fairly unique to open source
CMS (though others are adding this sort of stuff)

> I know I can do the second part but if I had certain blogs that I
> wanted to
> share with visitors or other content and I just wanted to give someone
> a link is that possible?
> I had in mind a writer's CMS setup where people one can get published,
> this is on another proprietary system but the person can send the link
> to their publication to a friend or anyone.

Uh, most themes include the "email story to a friend concept".  Some
have even started to include a link to the actual story as well so it
can be easily copied and pasted into an email.  All this stuff is
possible out-of-the-box.

> 4) I accepted one of the default news feeds that one gets with an
> install.  It doesn't seem clear how to include the content of a
> newsfeed into the site.  Even going to the geeklog.net site and
> clicking on RSS, RDF, XML Feeds shows a list of a few but it seems
> like you can include the content of an article without taking a person
> away from the site.

First, read the manual: http://www.geeklog.net/docs.  The RSS/RDF/XML
page is just a resource to get people started with including syndicated
content within their Geeklog system.  If you are hoping to include the
content outside of a block (i.e. as a true Geeklog story) that concept
isn't supported.

> Clicking on the .rss file does nothing.  Clicking on the link takes
> one away from the page instead of having the news included in the
> site.  Perhaps one can have the content of the story open into a block
> on the site?  Maybe?   or open a new window with a target="_blank"
> html tag.  I suppose that would work if the link was done right.

This isn't currently supported.  Add this as a feature request on
http://project.geeklog.net