[geeklog-users] New user help

bruce at trianglewebhosting.biz bruce at trianglewebhosting.biz
Sun Jul 18 02:32:12 EDT 2004

> To (hopefully) clarify the issue with target="_blank": This is not
> supported in Geeklog (that's why Tony suggested submitting it as a
> feature request). However, that particular issue is one of my pet peeves
> and since I have - more or less - the final word what goes into Geeklog
> 1.3.x and what doesn't, chances are pretty low that such a feature
> request would be implemented. Especially as it's so easy to add yourself,
> as I've pointed out in another post.
If you don't like using target="_blank" what would you use?  Using frames
for specific targets is not always the best coding style as what gets
collected by search engines which help people find your site is the frame
document and not the content areas.  A default use of target="_self" is a
pet peeve of mine.  I have a tabbed browser that I found works nice with
links that open in a new window, which it doesn't catch as popups.  It does
catch true popups very well.  Just going to some of the free graphics sites
on the web will remind me of that fact.  When I'm on the Geeklog pages and
am given a link within a forum to check on this link and then that link, to
see that this link happened to open a new site right were I was reading is
very irritating.  I was about to open the second link when I have to instead
open a new window for the same page so that I can browse to the different
links and keep my place in the text flow.
1) I don't want my visitors lost somewhere else or ever leaving the confines
of my site
2) I don't want my visitors to ever have to rely on a back arrow on their
browset to get back to where they were and the exact place where they were
reading.
3) I always ensure that to get back where they were I have a link there
4) I cannot do that when I've just taken them away from my site
5) As a visitor I've just lost my place in the forum that I was reading.
6) If I'm told, a quick search came up with this and then a FAQ here is
useful.  Once I go to the first link I'm lost from that whole train of
thought.  I'm also not expecting to get back to where I was exactly in the
forum.  I may even be logged out of the forums and have to find my place
back.
7) My way of dealing with that is to open new window with current page as
the content.  Not everyone can think of that solution and it is very
undesireable and frustrating.
8) I certainly have no problem having one new window open for one external
link and another for another external link.
9) If something goes wrong of the external link is less than desired I'm
still in the same forum to continue discussions
10)  Not only would I not take someone away from my site with an external
link, I certainly wouldn't do that in a forum.  I certainly want to stay in
the same forum browsing more articles.
11)  Having seen that I lost my place with a window opening up to replace
where I am in a forum I will often stop the browser from trying to take me
to that site.
12) All too often I've had to go back to a page to fix something only to be
asked to try to refresh the page with less than perfect results.
13) I never want any link to write over any page I have open including the
page where I'm reading.
14) A link to an external page should be external to all other pages and
links in my browser for these reasons.  It is much easier to go close a new
window and keep on going then to worry about whether a link has written over
some other page or content or worst of all the page where I currently am
reading.

So, if it is easy to add myself, I'll look at that config.php file.
No, it's not on my hard drive, as it was installed from the server using
Fantastico.  The server let me specify the subdomain and other information
and then click install.  Hence my desire to find the config.php file.
Bruce