[geeklog-users] GIF vs. PNG Redux

Steve Sloan steve at finagle.org
Fri Mar 26 21:39:58 EST 2004

Howdy, all, it's me again ... the PNG fanatic. ;)

Just wanted to mention that I've chosen to convert my Geeklog installation
(1.3.9) over to PNG, and it's worked just fine for me.  As it turns out, IE
does still support simple transparency on PNGs (i.e. no alpha channel, indexed
color only).  I used gif2png to convert all of the distribution GIFs, and
changed the code more or less by hand.  And although size isn't much of an
issue on these tiny graphics, the PNGs compress to ~10% smaller.

So, works for me, your mileage may vary, but I encourage you to make this
change.

-- Steve