[Neurons] 2012 Meta Reflections #20

Michael Hall meta at acsol.net
Mon Apr 2 09:21:34 EDT 2012

From: L. Michael Hall

Meta Reflections 2012 #20

April 2, 2012

Empowerment Series #10

THE POWER OF EXECUTION

If you think that discipline is powerful, which it is (the last article in
this series), then get ready to be awed at the power of execution! For more
than fifteen years, we have made this one of our central themes in
Neuro-Semantics. We call it by many different things:

 Apply to self: self-application.

 Closing the Knowing-Doing gap.

 Mind-to-Muscling, using the Mind-to-Muscle Pattern.

 Implementing.

 Innovation.

 The Axes of Performance: from incompetence to competence,
expertise, mastery.

 Actualization, to make the potential actual.

 Walking your talk, doing what you say.

 Embodying, incorporation.

Because mind-body-and-emotion are all part of the same system, it not
execute is to fail to work in a holistic and systemic way. It is to fail to
bring something to completion. It is to dichotomize and work only
partially. And as Maslow said, "To dichotomize is to pathologize."

When you execute you are bringing your thoughts, beliefs, values, hopes,
dreams, etc. into your body to embody it and incorporate it so that you
fully prepare yourself to act on what you know. This is the meaning of
"actualization." We actualize what is potential, we actualize what we are
potentially so that the meanings and inspirations and dreams within can be
made real in the outside world. Self-actualization is making real what you
are capable of which then enables you to make a difference in the world,
contribute your unique gifts, and leave a significant legacy. And that's
why, as noted earlier, self-actualization is not about you, it is through
you!

The opposite of execution is a problem -a personal problem, a psychological
problem, and a big problem in life. After all, if you are all talk and no
action, people will see you as full of hot air but no substance! If you are
big talk and even if you can do it elegantly and inspirationally, it is
still talk but not walk. And so you will be incongruent. Inconsistent.
Untrustworthy. Undependable. Even hypocritical.

So getting yourself to actually do what you say is the purpose of discipline
(consistency of actions), of integration, integrity, and congruency.
Actually, this is as much a problem for high potential people, high
achievers as it is for the unmotivated and the traumatized, and for those
who think of themselves as lazy, entitled, and/or victims of other people's
actions. Why? Because if you only learn and learn and read more, attend
more trainings, get more coaching, get more therapy, etc. and don't take
action, your knowing-doing gap will grow bigger and bigger.

A few years ago I wrote the book, Achieving Peak Performance (**) which
formally was a smaller booklet, Make It So! Inside that book, I put pattern
after pattern, and process after process to enable the process of execution-
so that people can learn the how of translating knowledge in the head into
muscle-memory so that it is so incorporated and installed in neurology that
it becomes intuitive in you, your way of being in the world. Do that and it
will change your sense-of-self. You will become an Implementer. You could
put that on your business card: Implementer par excellent.

All of this equally applies to organizations, groups, companies, families,
and communities. After all, in some business cultures, school cultures,
government cultures, etc., it is all talk and no walk. Great ideas!
Inspirational ideas! But no actuality. No execution of the great ideas
into practical activities, rituals, or structures. It looks and sounds
great on paper, but it is not in the fiber or soul of the organization. It
is just talk.

There's no innovation of the principles, the vision, the values, or the
mission of the organization in people's everyday lives. They do not operate
by the principles they affirm. We then experience this form of hypocrisy as
a disconnect and so in spite of the P.R. brand, the real brand is the
reputation of that business in our mind. We know it is just P.R. So
companies as much as individuals need the power of execution to implement
and innovate the dreams of the business.

So what do we need to activate the power of execution? Mostly to get the
interferences out of the way- excuses, fears, misunderstandings, myths,
mis-beliefs, perfectionism, procrastination, etc. Execution is natural and
normal within any system. So if a system is not implementing,
mind-to-muscling, or actualizing, then something is interfering.

In APG workshops, Neuro-Semantic Trainers deal with the power of execution
by teaching the Mind-to-Muscle Pattern, by running the Excuse Blow-Out
Pattern, by running two integration patterns, Spinning Icons and
Meta-Alignment, and by running the Dancing with Dragons pattern. Isn't that
amazing? Obviously, a big part of accessing your personal genius (APG) is
activating your natural and innate ability to execute what you know. You
can find this information in Secrets of Personal Mastery (1997) and of
course in the APG workshops (see <http://www.neurosemantics.com/>
www.neurosemantics.com for the list of APG courses around the world).

L. Michael Hall, Ph.D.

Neuro-Semantics Executive Director ---- <http://www.neurosemantics.com/>
www.neurosemantics.com

P.O. Box 8

Clifton, CO. 81520 USA

1 970-523-7877

What is Neuro-Semantic NLP? Get your free subscription to "Neurons" ---
the weekly International Newsletter of Neuro-Semantics. Subscribe at
<http://www.neurosemantics.com/> www.neurosemantics.com. Dr. Hall sends
out Meta Reflections every Monday (Colorado time). Trainers' Reflections
occur on Tuesdays and Meta-Coach Reflections on Wednesdays. Contact Dr.
Hall at <mailto:meta at acsol.net> meta at acsol.net

For world-class Coach Training --- see Meta-Coaching System at
<http://www.meta-coaching.org/> www.meta-coaching.org and at
<http://www.metacoachfoundation.org> www.metacoachfoundation.org

Neuro-Semantics launched the New Human Potential Movement in 2007, for
information about the Self-Actualization workshops, go to
<http://www.self-actualizing.org/> www.self-actualizing.org