[Neurons] 2012 Meta Reflections #56

L. Michael Hall meta at acsol.net
Mon Nov 19 09:41:46 EST 2012

From: L. Michael Hall

Meta Reflections 2012 #56

November 19, 2012

THE TENTH YEAR ANNIVERSARY

OF META-COACHING

Wow! The Meta-Coaching System is now ten years old. Next then you'll
know, she'll be in her teenage years! But maybe trainings age like the age
of dogs or cats? Maybe a training-year is like 3 human years. Anyway, time
has really flown by so quickly from that day in early November 2002 when
Meta-Coaching was given birth in Sydney. It only seems like a few months
ago.

Now at the birth of Meta-Coaching, I called together three expert coaches to
help me deliver it- three expert coaches who fully participated in the
experience inasmuch as they were there for the training from beginning to
end. In addition, each of them took turns co-training with me. In the
preparation period leading up to Meta-Coaching I had interviewed three
wonderful people that I had meet in Sydney- each of them with a different
focus and niche in Coaching:

Graham Richardson focused on Executive Coaching and working with executive
teams having been a senior manager and a CEO himself before he stepped up to
an even higher position of Executive Coach.

Michelle Duval focused on Personal Coaching and had created a company that
specialized in many aspects of personal coaching: personal development,
health, wealth, relationships, kids and teens, spirituality, etc.

Cheryl Gilroy focused on Group and Team Coaching and worked mostly with the
Government of Australia and make her real niche working in the area of
conflict resolutions and "angry" groups.

>From these three original expert coaches, along with some others that I had

interviewed and modeled like Dan Bagley in Florida, came a great deal of the
content of Meta-Coaching. And to this day, the training manual for Coaching
Mastery still has several pages from these coaches (and others) about these
different areas of Coaching.

Why? First and foremost because I wanted the program to reflect not only
the theoretical aspects of NLP and Neuro-Semantics, I wanted it to be
transferrable to those entering the field and learning to be professional
coaches. I wanted it to be practical, pragmatic, and actionable. Therefore
I sought out living examples of people using NLP and Neuro-Semantics and
creating a viable coaching practice from it.

Part of the why also is because that's what we do in NLP and
Neuro-Semantics- we model experts, we model best practices, we find people
demonstrating excellence and via the tools and models that we have, we
identify the internal structure that explains how they do what they do. And
by finding the structure, we can then replicate that excellence. And in a
word- that is what Meta-Coaching is. And it is also what Meta-Coaching is
becoming year after year.

How is that? What do I mean by that? I mean that the modeling has not
ended. Since the beginning, I am always seeking out other expert coaches -I
obviously prefer to get other people using the NLP methodology, but I often
get expert coaches from many other disciplines- Ontological Coaching,
Results Coaching, ICF coaches from different schools, Integral Coaching, and
so on. If someone is getting results with people, enabling people to
discover their gifts and potentials, empowering them to take ownership of
those talents, and releasing people for a fuller life- then I'm interested.
I'm very interested! And if they are able to also do the business part,
create a viable commercial business so that they build a reputation, and are
known for getting results, then I'm interested in that also.

I also want to know what they do, how they think about what they are doing,
and then see them actually do it. Typically, what they think they are doing
and what they are actually doing are two different things. Their beliefs,
philosophy, concept, metaphors, etc. about what they are doing does not
fully or actually describe what they are doing. Of course, this is typical
of experts-they are great at doing it, they are not so great at explaining
what they are doing or at transferring that expertise. That's where a
modeler comes in. And that's where the genius of NLP and Neuro-Semantics
comes in.

NLP offers numerous modeling tools- the Meta-Model for being able to "see"
into the invisible structure of language and what the linguistics of the
expert is doing. The Strategy Model gives us a tool for following the flow
of their thinking-feeling-choosing-responding etc. so we can capture the
essence of the structure of the subjective experience. The Representation
and Sub-Modality models give many layers of explicit detail to the strategy
as does the Meta-Programs' set of distinctions.

Neuro-Semantics enriches all of that with the Meta-States Model for tracking
the recursiveness of the person's self-reflexive consciousness and all of
the loops the person goes through in thinking-emoting- responding. The
Matrix Model adds a fuller systemic approach distinguishing the creating
processes at work and the developmental stages achieved. The
Self-Actualization Quadrants built from the Meaning/Performance axes
highlights the integration and synergy or the lack of it. So with these
foundational tools, the modeling of coaching expertise and excellence
continues to this day. Having now interviewed over 30 experts in the field
of Coaching since 2001, the evolution of the Meta-Coaching system continues
and will continue.

An example of that occurred in 2009 when I completely redesigned the
presentation of Coaching Mastery, (Module III). When I began Meta-Coaching,
we had 3 models: the NLP Communication model, Meta-States Model, and the
Matrix Model. Within a year we had the Axes of Change Model, then the
Benchmarking Model, and by 2005 I had come up with the Self-Actualization
Model, and finally in 2007 the Facilitation Model. With each new
development, new patterns and processes arose and so we would put that piece
into the program. So by 2008 many of us had the feeling that the Coaching
Boot Camp program of Coaching Mastery was too disjointed and disorganized
and needed a structural make-over.

In 2008, with input from Omar Salom, a Meta-Coach Trainer in Mexico, we
re-examined all of pieces that had come together to make up that competency
based training and from that rigorous re-examination, I redesigned
everything based on the Facilitation Model- so today the program is
thematic: Facilitating relationship (Day 1), facilitating exploration (Day
2), facilitating performance (3), systemic thinking (4), change and
transformation (5), self-actualization (6), business acumen (7), and
professionalism of the field (8). In 2009 also I began mapping out the
unique competencies with the benchmarks for the level after ACMC, the PCMC
(Professional Certified Meta-Coach) credentials and that led to the first
PCMC assessments in January of 2010. In 2011 I began mapping out the MCMC
level with Graham Richardson and we now have competencies and benchmarks for
the Master Certified Meta-Coach.

So in this month of Novemeber 2012 on the tenth anniversary of the
Meta-Coaching System, Meta-Coaching continues as Cheryl Lucas and Carey
Jooste are delivering the 48th presentation of Coaching Mastery in South
Africa and I'm in China with Mandy Chai delivering the 49th presentation.
Today we have 5 Meta-Coach Trainers (including Omar Salom and David Murphy)
and 7 or so other trainers in the process of becoming Meta-Coach Trainers.
We have well over 1,500 Meta-Coaches in 41 countries and some 50-plus MCF
Chapters being conducted all over the world. A lot of growth since 2002.

What will be the next evolutionary changes in the Meta-Coaching system? I
don't know. But whatever it will be, it will be taking Meta-Coaching to yet
another level of excellence.

For more about Meta-Coaching: <http://www.meta-coaching.org/>
www.meta-coaching.org Download the 16-page color Brochure.

Also, <http://www.metacoachfoundation.org/>
www.metacoachfoundation.org

L. Michael Hall, Ph.D.

Neuro-Semantics Executive Director

Neuro-Semantics International

P.O. Box 8

Clifton, CO. 81520 USA

1 970-523-7877

Dr. Hall's email:
<mailto:meta at acsol.net\hich\af31506\dbch\af31505\loch\f31506> meta at acsol.net

What is Neuro-Semantic NLP?

Neurons: Get your free subscription to the weekly International \Post on
Neuro-Semantics by Dr. L. Michael Hall. Subscribe at:
wwww.neurosemantics.com

Solutions: Sign up for the Neuro-Semantic Newsletter ---
<http://newsletter.neurosemantics.com/hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506/
hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506> newsletter.neurosemantics.com. This
is a monthly newsletter for anyone new to Neuro-Semantics. Femke Stuut,
Editor.

Coaching: For world-class Coach Training - The Meta-Coaching System:
www.meta-coaching.org and \
<http://www.metacoachfo/hich/a/hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506%20f3150
6/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506%20undation.org/hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31
506/hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506> www.metacoachfoundation.org.
Meta-Coach Reflections sent every Wednesday to the group of Licensed
Meta-Coaches.

Self-Actualization: Neuro-Semantics launched the New Human Potential
Movement in 2007, for information about this, see
<http://www.self-actualizing.org/> www.self-actualizing.org