[Neurons] 2012 Meta Reflections #55

L. Michael Hall meta at acsol.net
Mon Nov 12 11:03:56 EST 2012

From: L. Michael Hall

Meta Reflections 2012 #55

November 12, 2012

Empowerment Series #35

THE POWER OF HABIT

"Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but
coaxed downstairs a step at a time."

Mark Twain

You know the power of habit, do you not? The power is this-repeat anything
often enough and before long it becomes the way you operate. If a
behavioral habit, it becomes what you default to doing even when you try not
to default to it. If a mental habit, it becomes your seemingly inherent and
innate way of thinking. You just think that way. It happens faster than
the speed of light-it occurs at the speed of thought! If an emotional
habit, then before you can blink, off goes the emotion and the emotional
state and if it is an unresourceful state, you are caught up in that
emotion, hijacked by it and at its mercy. Habits are powerful, are they
not?

We not only have habits of behavior, thought, and emotion, we have habits of
talk, linguistic habits, non-verbal habits, habits of our gestures and
movements and posture. We have habits of eating, drinking, exercising,
not-exercising, reading, studying, not-studying; we have all kinds of
habits. And once established, it's the nature of habits to have a life of
their own, or at least it seems that way.

It seems that way because, as we say, whatever was consciously intentional
now "drops out of conscious awareness into our unconscious mind." Now it is
run by "the unconscious." That is, our larger mind or our mind that is
outside-of-consciousness now accepts the "habit" as if it were a computer
"program." And so it seems that by our repeated and habituated habits- we
"program" ourselves to think, feel, speak, act, relate, etc. in certain
standardized ways.

And overall, this is good; it is a positive value. Gregory Bateson
described this as one of the "ecologies of the mind" (Bateson, 1972, Steps
to an Ecology of Mind). The ecology is that you can save the energy and
effort of conscious thought by "programming" into you a dependable and
regular way of thinking, feeling, acting, relating, etc. Then you don't
have to think about it. And, in fact, after awhile, you can't think about
it. It drops outside of your conscious awareness. And so it has a life of
its own so to speak.

When we look up definitions of habits, we find that a habit is any
succession of single acts which follow each other automatically. Ah, that's
the key, isn't it- automatically. When you repeat something over and over,
you thereby establish it as a habitual way of operating. And so you create
a "habit." At a neurological level, you are activating the same
neuro-pathways and so with each repetition, it becomes easier and easier for
you to do the same thing. And this is great if what you are repeating is
empowering you, making your mind and body healthier and more robust. It is
great if it is an accurate and productive process that is unleashing more of
your potentials.

But then there is the other side. It is not great, but terrible and
destructive and even toxic if the habit you are establishing is undermining
your mind and body, if it is enslaving you to your emotions, if it is
dis-empowering you, making you more and more addicted to destructive forces
and making you feel helpless, hopeless, and powerless. If your habitual way
of operating is doing that, then you are creating a psychological
gravitational pull that will automatically keep bringing you down.

Now regarding the power of habit, everything habituates. This wonderful and
frightening power generates both our most excellent and our most problematic
states. The difference lies in the content of what we habituate. Yet
here's another facet of this power. We can intentionally plan and develop
new habits. What habit would you like to create? Where and when would that
habit occur? What set of actions do you need to do to begin forming that
habit? Are you willing to repeat it until it becomes automatic?

If you find problems doing that, then you probably need to undo (deframe)
your current habit so that you get it out of the way so it doesn't interfere
with learning the new habit. How do you do this? First, by making your
current automatic unconscious habit conscious. Bring it into consciousness
by noticing when and where it occurs, what sets it off, etc. Tease the
habit back into consciousness so that you can have choice again.

Then begin to practice the new steps, mindfully, consciously, and
intentionally. Walk through them and attach reward or pleasure to them so
that they are reinforced. A long time ago, psychologist William James wrote
about this:

"When a resolve or a fine glow of a feeling is allowed to evaporate without
bearing practical fruit, it is worse than a chance lost; it works so as
positively to hinder the discharge of future resolutions and emotions. ...
Never should we suffer ourselves to have an emotion at a play, concert, or
upon reading a book, without expressing it afterward in some active way.
Let the expression be the least thing in the world- speaking genially to
one's grandmother ... but let it not fail to take place." (Psychology: A
Briefer Course).

The power of habits- first to integrate and, as it were, "program" an
efficient response-pattern into ourselves and then, once a habit has run its
course, to un-install it so that a new and more effective one can replace
it. So what set of responses would you like to turn into a habit? To turn
into an unconscious competence? You can, you know.

L. Michael Hall, Ph.D.

Neuro-Semantics Executive Director

Neuro-Semantics International

P.O. Box 8

Clifton, CO. 81520 USA

1 970-523-7877

Dr. Hall's email:
<mailto:meta at acsol.net\hich\af31506\dbch\af31505\loch\f31506> meta at acsol.net

What is Neuro-Semantic NLP?

Neurons: Get your free subscription to the weekly International \Post on
Neuro-Semantics by Dr. L. Michael Hall. Subscribe at:
wwww.neurosemantics.com

Solutions: Sign up for the Neuro-Semantic Newsletter ---
<http://newsletter.neurosemantics.com/hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506/
hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506> newsletter.neurosemantics.com. This
is a monthly newsletter for anyone new to Neuro-Semantics. Femke Stuut,
Editor.

Coaching: For world-class Coach Training - The Meta-Coaching System:
www.meta-coaching.org and \
<http://www.metacoachfo/hich/a/hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506%20f3150
6/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506%20undation.org/hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31
506/hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506> www.metacoachfoundation.org.
Meta-Coach Reflections sent every Wednesday to the group of Licensed
Meta-Coaches.

Self-Actualization: Neuro-Semantics launched the New Human Potential
Movement in 2007, for information about this, see
<http://www.self-actualizing.org/> www.self-actualizing.org