[geeklog-devel] New Content Syndication

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Tue Aug 12 17:27:54 EDT 2003

I've rewritten most of Geeklog's code that deals with the creation of RSS
feeds. There is now an Admin interface (admin/syndication.php) for it
that lets you create and configure feeds - no more fiddling around with
config.php settings.

Currently, you can create feeds for all stories (that's the same as we
had so far) and also feeds per topic. I'm planning to look into
implementing links for event and links, too.

Furthermore, plugins can now also offer feeds (through extensions of the
Plugin API). For demonstration purposes, I've written the necessary
functions for the File Management plugin (see attachment). Forum feeds
would also be a nice addition ...

And finally, I've moved the actual code that creates an RSS feed to a
class. The Admin interface will look for classes named xxx.feed.class.php
and will let the user select those as the format for the feed. In other
words: You can now create feeds in other formats.

For demonstration purposes, I've written the attached "Atom" class that
implements a feed according to the current draft specification of the
"Project without a name" <http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/>. Again,
see attachment.

All this (except the attachments) is in CVS now. You will need a fresh
install currently (or add the gl_syndication table manually).

Comments welcome ...

http://www.haun.info/