[geeklog-devel] Search Engine Friendly URLs for Stories

Vincent Furia vmf at abtech.org
Fri Jan 16 13:37:54 EST 2004

Dirk Haun wrote:

>Vincent Furia wrote:
>

>>I wrote this against the current CVS version of geeklog-1.3.  I've
>>tested it pretty well on linux.
>>

>Thanks, Vinny. I seem to remember that Tom Willet and yourself where
>doing tests like that on gplugs.sf.net. So you have evidence that these
>URLs are more likely to be picked up by Google et al.?

The changed URLs seemed to improve the ability of search engines to pick
up the story URLs.  Also Tom's story index page seemed to help a little
bit as well.  The two items combined saw the best (observed) results.
Due to the nature of search engines though, a truly scientific test is
beyond the means of the resources I have available.  Sum Up:  I think it
works.

Another thing that would help is have links (somehow) from stories that
don't have comments or story bodies.  Currently those stories don't
(can't) link to the article page so getting a search spider to fix that
is difficult.  Tom's fix (mentioned above) alleviates this somewhat.

>>I doubt it will work under Windows with
>>IIS since it uses the same methodology as Staticpages.
>>

>I wonder if that problem still exists - the last time someone looked into
>this was almost a year ago. Does anyone have access to a current version
>of IIS + PHP to test it out?

Beats me, I've never run IIS.  Any takers to solve this?  We need to
know if the $PATH_INFO environmental variable gets filled in correctly.

Thanks,
Vinny