[geeklog-devel] Comment Links

Vincent Furia vmf at abtech.org
Thu Jun 3 17:55:07 EDT 2004

Dirk Haun wrote:
> Actually, wouldn't it make sense if this displayed _only_ that one
> comment? All the other functionality is already there with mode=display.
>
> But I guess it really depends on what it's going to be used for.
> Brainstorming, please ...
>
> - to link to specific comments from the search results page
> - for the new "report abusive comment" feature (in the email the Admin
> receives)
>
> What else?

For bloggers, the view comment could be linked to if a person wanted to
link to a single comment or a thread of comments.  For that sort of
thing mode=view works much better than mode=display, but in which case
seeing children in threaded or nested mode makes sense.

Of course, we could have a default mode of "flat" which would display
only the linked comment but have the {comment_url} link to
format=threaded (or nested, or the user's default?).

> The comment bar is certainly not something I would miss, as long as I can
> get most of the functionality in some other way, specifically a link back
> to the story. The Reply button could easily be replaced with a link under
> the actual story and I only use the mode dropdown on sites where I'm not
> a registered user or when I'm not logged in. Does anyone even use the
> Oldest First / Newest First dropdown?
>
> So, I'm open for suggestions ...

Anything is better than how the comment bar works now in comment.php (it
does OK for comments in article.php).

> Yep. We have {article_url} for the story link, so this should be named
> something like {comment_url}.

Cool

> P.S. I'll be offline Friday-Sunday, in case anyone's missing me.

Have Fun?

Since it seems that some of these questions don't have particularly
obvious/strong answers, maybe its something that should be posted to
geeklog.net and see what everyone there thinks?

-Vinny