[geeklog-devel] New features in CVS

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Tue May 11 14:15:33 EDT 2004

I had some time to play around a bit and decided to implement 2 features
(now in CVS), for which I'd like to hear some feedback.

1) On top of Michael's patches to log IP addresses of comment posters,
I've added an option that lets you click on that IP address and have it
looked up by a website that does IP address lookups. The idea being that
this could help you track down where abusers come from.

My only concern is that this may be considered abuse of those services.
But then again, it's not automated and you'll have to do a lot of
clicking before they'll even notice and additional load.

I've listed three such services in config.php, all commented out per default.

Comments?

2) Feature request #204 asked for an option to let the admin post a story
for someone, i.e. under their name. I've now added a dropdown menu in the
admin's story editor that lets you pick the user that should be displayed
as the author of the story.

The only problem is, of course, that it may take a while when you have a
lot of users. It's already noticable with the 7300+ users in the
geeklog.net database. And I don't really want to know how long it would
take on MFI (how many users, Marc? 250,000?).

Maybe it would be easier (on the database ...) to replace the dropdown
with a text entry field or something.

Ideas, anyone?

http://mypod.de/