[geeklog-devel] Plugin help --- Package Extractor

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Wed Jul 11 09:25:05 EDT 2007

Tias,

Thanks for the interest.  With Christian Weiske's help I've managed to get most of the current GL 1.x codebase PEAR-ified.  Most of the push back with the current 1.4 developers is the fact that PEAR can be a bit of a pain to use under web hosts and while I think Christian and I have given workaround for everything, having someone like you to actually show how it would work would go a lot further than me just saying it is possible ;-)

Dirk Haun manages the 1.x codebase and I'm working on the 2.x codebase (a PHP5 rewrite).  Both projects are really busy with Google Summer of Code work but I think we can accommodate your willingness to help.  Initially I'd think you'd only need anonymous CVS access which is covered here:

http://www.geeklog.net/staticpages/index.php/CVS

For reference I have published the last stable releases of the 1.x codebase to our PEAR channel at:

http://pear.geeklog.net

The code to build those packages are in the system/build folder in the 1.x CVS tree.  You'll notice that the dependencies are currently backwards with the core package requiring the plugins.  That's because we haven't had time to go in and make it so all those plugins can truly stand alone.

I think that pretty much covers everything.  I think downloading and installing Geeklog via tarball  and then doing it with the PEAR installer would give you a good basis for how it works and all the config settings and whatnot.  From there you should be able to work on embedding PEAR and getting the Web frontend working.

If you have any questions please ask.  Dirk, if I missed anything feel free to chime in.

I plan on following your work closely as I fully expect to mimic what you do in the 2.x codebase so there is a lot positive impact your work can have.  Thanks for the offer to help!

--Tony