[geeklog-devel] Geeklog`s position in the world of CMS

Oliver Spiesshofer oliver at spiesshofer.com
Sun Jul 22 02:47:34 EDT 2007

> Many people have no idea what a portal is nor a framework but many people know a forum. So my idea
> was, why not promoting geeklog as a forum with some extra features? The 'market' is much, much
> bigger!

Thats like marketing a car like a great couch with 4 adjustible seats and a built-in stereo.
Or MS Word as a Word Processor for people who previously only used a typewriter. You get people
into huge trouble because they realize they got much more than what they asked for, get stuck in
configurations, learnings, breakdowns and then blame you for beeing forced to buy a garage and
learn driving just to sit down somewhere, what windows and a virus is just to replace the
typewriter.

> For that purpose it would be necessary to be able to make the forum turn up on the index page:
> http://www.portalparts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=8549
> Futhermore the forum should be included in the distribution possibly toghether with captcha and
> badbehavior to make it a complete secure set.

Thats like including a lot of uselsess features in a car such as a cupholder and advertise it as a
major innovation, or a talking paperclip so people do not see/not get afraid of all the actual
features of MS word that might tell them that they got much more than they wanted.

> This option could be true for other plugins too like social bookmarking / link plugin - if it ever
> will be developed...

Sorry, but we will get a lot of angry people once they found out they can get a very simple
installation of phpBB that gives them all they want and instead were lured into something much
more complex where the main feature they wanted was only an optional add-on that was made to look
like its the core of the system. Sounds like the internet explorer stroy to me....

Oliver