[geeklog-devel] New GL default theme

geeklog at mystral-kk.net geeklog at mystral-kk.net
Mon Oct 22 19:05:28 EDT 2007

Vinny wrote:

> Eric, we understand where you're coming from, but there are a number
> of themes right now the meet w3c html 4.01 strict.  If we updated the
> code to reflect XHTML we'd break these themes.  I understand your
> question, "why HTML over XHTML?" My question in response would be:
> What does XHTML get us that HTML 4.01 does not get us?

1. It is easier to import and transplant a theme, because most other CMSes
use XHTML as a standard.

2. Most Web browsers put XHTML over HTML.

3. Even when Geeklog core is XHTML, and yet its theme and plugins are
HTML, Web browsers will accept the contents with very few problems.

4. If HTML contents (stories, staticpages, and so on) with XHTML core code
should cause some trouble, how about preparing an HTML-into-XHTML
converter?      HTML purifier (http://htmlpurifier.org/) is the tool for
the task.

5. If GL core members encourage plugin developers to use XHTML as a
default (and HTML as an option), it will be a good opportunity to renew
Geeklog.  The next release (GL-1.5) is timely, so how about inviting
plugin developers to revise their products into XHTML?

6. If you describe code and contents in XHTML, it is quite easy to covert
them into HTML, but not vice versa.

I hope XHTML will be default and HTML an option in the next GL release.
--
  mystral-kk
  geeklog at mystral-kk.net
  http://mystral-kk.net