[geeklog-devel] GL 1.5 test site user login

Blaine Lang devel at portalparts.com
Fri Oct 26 20:48:54 EDT 2007

Looks like the test site for the new theme is down.

I wanted to review the latest again before commenting so this is some
feedback on one aspect of the new theme - the user options area. I
really don't like to see my page jump down as it works now. The
leftblocks collapsing is not the same and having a large area like I saw
last time with a list of links just does not appeal to me. If this area
is to contain important user menu navigation then it should be on a main
menu or in a consistent area the user can always see. We have lots of
menu space typically on a site and if need use a flyout or dropdown
multilevel menu.

What I do like is to have a hidden login form that appears when the user
clicks on a login link. There really only needs to be 2 links that
switch once the user is logged in.

Login + Register and once logged in they become My Account + Logout.
These can easily be added in a reserved area in the site header.
I have 2 examples of sites that were done this way - themes are per
client so no wise cracks :)
1) http://www.home2hotel.ca/
2) http://www.ccccio.ca/  - a bit different as they self register this
closed community

Our site www.nextide.ca is similar but I do not use the show/hide area
for the login form as it did not work with out site header. What this
example does show is the reserved area for the 2 links (or tabs) that
change to My Account and Logout once you login.  Additionally, one our
site, all the system messages are trapped and shown in the header area
as opposed to being inside an error block and pushing the content down.

Blaine