[geeklog-devel] Perception is everything...

Randy Kolenko Randy.Kolenko at nextide.ca
Wed Apr 9 08:17:19 EDT 2008

What about paying out a bounty to one lucky individual who suggests an
alternative/new name for Geeklog?
Run it like a contest.  Although the bounty paid isn't HUGE, its sure
better than $0.
Create some buzz in the open source community and perhaps revitalize the
Geeklog core base of users to see that GL is not dead and that its
continually moving forward.

just my $0.02 worth.

	On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 1:28 AM, Michael Jervis
<mjervis at gmail.com> wrote:

		On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 3:03 AM, Tony Bibbs
<tony at tonybibbs.com> wrote:
		> Good, it's not just me.  I think we undervalue the
importance of a name.  I know it sounds like a bunch non-technical BS
but if you go on name alone who would you pick:

		>  Geeklog
		>  Joomla
		>  Drupal
		>  PHPNuke
		>  Wordpress

		Me, I'd go on name alone:

		PHPNuke
		Geeklog
		Drupal
		Joomla
		Wordpress

		And in reality I went:

		PHPNuke
		Geeklog
		Drupal
		Geeklog

		Changing the name /might/ be good, but you have to
consider what
		you're re-branding for. Are you re-branding to sell a
platform to
		build sites (glue as Euan suggested?) or to sell to the
		Wordpress/Drupal style market where they just want a
ready to go
		platform. i.e. developers or (I struggle to find the
right word here,
		non-technical site owners?)