[geeklog-devel] Perception is everything...

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Wed Apr 9 08:45:37 EDT 2008

Tony Bibbs wrote:

> Dirk when you get a minute I'd be interested to hear your take.

    "You _can_ say geeks now, Mom."

(from "Microserfs" by Douglas Coupland, 1995)

It may be a language issue, but I never had a problem over here
"selling" Geeklog. If anything, the name was considered a bit bland
and non-descriptive, but not "offensive".

The actual issue that the "dead" post was about, though, is our lack
of visible progress. That's also something we've discussed before:
There is a lot going on, but it's happening behind the scenes and if
you don't lurk on geeklog-devel, you'll never hear of it until,
suddenly, a new release appears out of thin air (or so it would seem).

In fact, we did make the conscious decision to move things off of the
geeklog.net front page and into the forums. But now that we only have
new stories up every now and then, it gives the impression of not
being very active.

Having said that, I think we should actually take that one step
further and remove the news articles almost entirely. Say, let's keep
the featured story and the forum block and fill the rest with more
static content. A bit more like e.g. wordpress.org.

That would avoid the backlog of outdated articles and actual changes
would be more visible. Too bad we don't have a lot of associated sites
any more or I would bring up the idea of running a Planet (in parallel
or inside of Geeklog) again. Or at least include an RSS feed from
somewhere.