[geeklog-devel] Perception is everything...

Blaine Lang devel at portalparts.com
Wed Apr 9 22:32:29 EDT 2008

Dirk Haun wrote:
 > It may be a language issue, but I never had a problem over here
"selling" Geeklog. If anything, the name was considered a bit bland and
non-descriptive, but not "offensive".

The name issue has always been a problem for me and I think many of us
when describing the solution/framework. I used to be a lot more
sensitive to the funny looks I would get and mostly ignore the looks now
but know it definitely effects our ability to sell GL to customers and
potential developers that I have tried to get involved. If a developer
or a user spends much time with GL then they can appreciate it but it
definitely is a challenge or hurdle at first impressions. Just today, I
had lunch with a long-time friend that now has a senior management
position. Trying to describe what I do and using the word Geeklog makes
it sound like we are using a 3rd rate solution.

Joomola which is a fork of Mambo had some initial "what's that comments"
and now it's more well known then Mambo is. We need a name like Drupal
which sounds great, means nothing, in any language that I know, and does
not give any negative impressions.

As part of the name change would be a new site design and communication
plan. This is really the same approach the Core team discussed 2-3 years
ago. I think leveraging the SOC and getting community support with case
studies would really help sell the new re-launch. The community has some
large sites that should be willing to help us with cross-marketing.

This has been a long-time desire of mine to have a better name and just
felt there was not enough support to make this happen.

I agree with Mark that we also need to get our project resources setup
properly as it's a bit embarrassing ;)
Are there not members of the community that can offer their time and
experience to setup the needed applications?

Blaine