[geeklog-devel] 1.5 error.log when DB dies

Joe Mucchiello joe at ThrowingDice.com
Wed Aug 13 14:16:33 EDT 2008

At 02:01 PM 8/13/2008, Tony Bibbs wrote:
>Joe,
>
>You don't need anything unique in siteconfig.  Once GL decided to
>use the DB for settings it should honor that.
>
>That said you can safely use the site_url from the DB to generate the key.

No you can't. The database is unavailable. Again, do you remember
your own email? How about checking out the subject of the thread?

At 10:50 AM 8/13/2008, Tony Bibbs wrote:
>I just found out something interesting.  With 1.5 having all config
>setting in the DB if your DB dies

No DB means no site_url.

>   If Dirk so chooses to use the siteconfig.php that's fine too
> which was of my suggestions.  My point in all this was to make it
> clear to you you can use file-based caching if you wanted and that
> using memcached (or apc) would be unwise.

And my point is you CAN'T use file-based caching unless the keys to
the file are in siteconfig. At which point you can save a lot of
trouble just put path_logs into siteconfig and forgetting all about caching.

You posited three ways to solve a specific problem. I said only your
third choice can work. That's been my point in this discussion. You
instead call into question whether I understand what caching is. Unreal.

>You've proven nothing I haven't already known about you...

Although I've disagreed with you often, I've never insulted you, Tony.

----
Joe Mucchiello
Throwing Dice Games
http://www.throwingdice.com