[geeklog-devel] The road ahead - post 1.5.0

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Sun Jun 22 14:25:08 EDT 2008

Looking at the first bug reports that came in for 1.5.0, it's time to
think about how we go from here. Here are my suggestions:

I think for Geeklog 1.5.1 we should concentrate on fixing all those
rough edges that we left in while rushing to push out 1.5.0. The
addition of new features should be kept to a minimum.

Something like <http://project.geeklog.net/tracking/view.php?id=653>
should be part of 1.5.1. It's a lot of work with little immediate gain,
but will make using Geeklog smoother and less of a hassle in places. If
you look at the list of open bugs, there are quite a few that fall into
this category. With the introduction of OpenID support, the various
minor issues with Remote User accounts will also become more obvious and
need to be cleaned up.

In parallel, we should work on a strictly bugfixes-only release, Geeklog
1.5.0-1, and make sure that it can be installed with a minimum of
hassle. I.e., no changes in the database, the themes, or the language
files unless we absolutely have to.

Timeframe:

Geeklog 1.5.0-1: Second half of July,
Geeklog 1.5.1: Somewhere near the end of the Summer of Code, e.g. early
to mid September.

After that, a version integrating the results from the Summer of Code
(and possibly other new features) could be released by the end of this /
beginning of next year.

Comments?

http://www.geeklog.net/
http://geeklog.info/