[geeklog-devel] GSoC 2008: Core notification service

Joe Mucchiello joe at ThrowingDice.com
Tue Mar 18 17:01:08 EDT 2008

Does this code have to run with every page hit?

  //Get instance of the globals
  $dispatcher = Dispatcher::getInstance();
  //Add pluginname_eventobserver function as listener for myEvent
  $dispatcher->addObserver('myEvent', 'pluginname_eventobserver');

Telling the system every event I'm interested in with each run seems
strange especially when the page being loaded might never interact
with subsystems I'm looking to observe. I assume this code only has
to run in the existing plugin_install (and be handled in
plugin_enablestatechange). Once called, the database maintains a
relationship of events to handler functions and when an event fires,
the functions are called one at a time.

Since there are no database layouts/mockups in the proposal so I have
no way of knowing your plan.

I think 2 weeks to retrofit into GL Core is optimistic. Properly
written this code could replace all callable plugin interfaces.

Finally, I recommend doing the UI part as a plugin since the plugin
API is not a moving target like the codebase can be. Later
integration should be easier than if you've randomly edited the core.

   Joe