[geeklog-devel] Email Throttling (was GSoC 2008:Core notification service)

Joe Mucchiello joe at ThrowingDice.com
Wed Mar 19 16:15:29 EDT 2008

That's exactly my wish list for improvement to email in GL. I'd also
add a database list/GUI screen where the admin can see all the email
that went out. (Since the emails are queued somewhere, they probably
are already in the database anyway.)

To me, this functionality is more important than getting alerts when
a story is written. Pull tech like RSS is better for that than push
tech like email.

At 03:45 PM 3/19/2008, Jeff Hare wrote:
>I was thinking something more along the lines of having an GL email queue
>that could (via a cron job or other means) process/send emails in the queue
>while honoring limits on how much can be sent over a given time.
>
>The gl mail core routine would queue email messages sent by any module
>(perhaps excluding password recovery and account requests) and process them
>in small batches according to rules.  Mail sent from plugins like the
>forums, mail users, email a story, etc. would be queued and actually
>dispatched via a separate mechanism when throttling is enabled.

----
Joe Mucchiello
Throwing Dice Games
http://www.throwingdice.com