[geeklog-devel] Email Throttling (was GSoC 2008:Core notification service)

Jeff Hare geeklog at thehares.com
Wed Mar 19 15:45:58 EDT 2008

Mailing lists (mailman / majordomo, Dreamhost announcements) are available
through many hosting providers.  My point was also similar to Joe's in that
while it would be great to be able to have a mechanism whereby members of
your site could opt into various discussion or announce-only lists (perhaps
using a tab in their account options), that's pretty different functionality
from throttling.

I was thinking something more along the lines of having an GL email queue
that could (via a cron job or other means) process/send emails in the queue
while honoring limits on how much can be sent over a given time.

The gl mail core routine would queue email messages sent by any module
(perhaps excluding password recovery and account requests) and process them
in small batches according to rules.  Mail sent from plugins like the
forums, mail users, email a story, etc. would be queued and actually
dispatched via a separate mechanism when throttling is enabled.

-Jeff