[geeklog-devel] Plugin repository

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Tue Jan 20 13:25:29 EST 2009

Blaine Lang wrote:

>What if we had a master feed file on geeklog.net that defined the URL's
>for registered plugin depot's - or it's just a default GL ships with.

I haven't given the "discovery" of new repositories much thought. Only
acknowledged that we need a way to do it ...

>Users can click on a depot link which redirects them to that site where
>they get a detailed listing of all updates -- like an RSS Feed does.

Which would require minimal effort if the plugin repository would
publish RSS (or Atom) feeds, as suggested.

>Maybe we have an area on the Plugin Editor page that also shows
>available updates or new plugins.

Yep. I also think that plugins could come with their own update feed. So
maybe I'm not interested in any new plugins from repository X, but I'm
certainly interested in updates for the plugin that I just installed.

>This spec should be extended to also support blocks so that we can
>browse and install blocks on our sites from depot's.

Hmm. We don't have the necessary infrastructure in place (in Geeklog) to
do that. And I don't think I like the idea of some process messing
around in lib-custom.php (to add the block code).

Why not go the mini-plugin route? All you would need is a functions.inc
and a autoinstall.php, both neatly placed in a directory.

http://www.geeklog.net/
http://geeklog.info/