[geeklog-devel] Introducing the Plugin Toolkit featuring the Plugin Generator

Vincent Furia vfuria at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 14:50:27 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Dirk Haun <dirk at haun-online.de> wrote:

> >Also, what
> >about adding sample list/edit/save/delete functions for the admin
> >page, for a standard table that includes just an id column and a
> >single data column? Then beginners could see exactly how to start.
>
> I was wondering: Should it rather add more code and files that you can
> remove when you don't need it? Or should it ask you lots of questions
> (do you want autotag support? do you need search? etc.) and only add the
> code that you requested?

For plugin functions that are "optional" to implement, I'd suggest creating
them commented out. That way all that is needed to implement a function is
to un-comment it and fill in the blanks. This could apply to the SQL file
too, as not all plugins necessarily have SQL tables.

> >A suggestion not really related to the generator script: can search
> >and syndication code go the way of install/uninstall in the plugins,
> >and be handled by the Geeklog core?
>
> Sounds like a good idea. I'm not up to speed on the search API changes
> in 1.6, maybe Sami can fill us in here?
>
> I'll have a look at the syndication API on occasion.

I think this is a great idea provided it can overridden if a plugin wants to
handle search or syndication itself. For instance, if a plugin uses mysql's
fulltext search.

-Vinny